Adam Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 21:07:19 -0500
On 6/9/98 2:12 PM, James Chamier <[log in to unmask]> wrote...

>Steve Howie wrote:
>> Actually, Ben Parker from Lsoft solved the problem for me. If the email
>> client sending the request is Web-based, it asks for conformation ( for
>> obvious security reasons, since forging a From: field is trivial in these
>> cases. Just how it knows it's a Web-based client is the question :) The
>> user at my site was using netscape 4.04 to send the requests.
>
>What concerns me, is does LISTSERV maintain a list of "Web-based mailers"
>and can we find out what this list is ?
>
>Every stand alone PC mailer I've seen allows you to input anything you like
>as your e-mail address (From field). If you enter something wrong, you won't
>get replies (yes, I've seen that more than once!).

Yes, but it's easier (and more common) to reconfigure the email address
in a web browser than an email client. Not a whole lot easier, but still
your average falsifier's first choice as a weapon.

There's also the common problem of people using a lab computer and then
leaving without clearing that information out. Then the next person comes
in and starts interacting with the LISTSERV without thinking.

--
Adam Bailey      | Chicago, Illinois
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-| "Do not take life too seriously;