"Leon D. Wald" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 14:46:32 -0600
Bruce Dienes asked some questions about the Validate header settings:

>Is there somewhere that defines what "protected commands" are?

I didn't come across that info, but it seemed to be most commands.

>What exactly happens when the above setting is used?  I assume that
>every command is sent back to the addressee with a request to send the
>"OK" confirmation back to listserv.

Correct.

>Have any of you had experience with
>this?  Are there hassles with subscribers forwarding such confirmations to
>the list, or using a reply format that adds ">"s and confuses listserv?
>In other words, is this potentially more trouble than it is worth?

I tried it for awhile on one of my lists and found three problems:

1. Some users' mail clients would reply to the owner (me) instead of the
list thus foiling the subscription (I would have to do it for them).

2. Some would indeed forget to delete the original message when replying,
generating a long list of error messages and again foiling the subscription.

3. When I wanted to subscribe people, I had to confirm the commands as well,
which was lots of bother, especially if I wanted to add a whole group of people.

I finally decided it was indeed too much trouble and went to
*  Subscription= Open
*  Validate= Yes
which requires a password and provides a reasonable amount of security. I
have had no problems so far.

Leon

|  Leon D. Wald                      3M Company                |
|  [log in to unmask]                    Storage Media Laboratory  |
|  (612) 733-3223 (Voice)            3M Center, 235-3B-30      |
|  (612) 736-6843 (FAX)              St. Paul, MN 55144-1000   |
|    The opinions are mine ... and certainly don't represent   |
|         the official position of 3M or anyone else!          |