Andrew Morrow <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 19:09:08 -0400
Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]> writes

> Their client probably doesn't fully implement MIME digests.

After discussing the problem with David Harris, author of Pegasus
Mail, and checking over the RFC's, I regret to say that it appears to
be a LISTSERV problem.

RFC 2046, the current authority on the MIME multipart/digest format,
states:

   The boundary delimiter line following the last body part is a
   distinguished delimiter that indicates that no further body parts
   will follow.  Such a delimiter line is identical to the previous
   delimiter lines, with the addition of two more hyphens after the
   boundary parameter value.

     --gc0pJq0M:08jU534c0p--

So, with LISTSERV's usual boundary string of 28 dashes, a line of 30
dashes in a digest is considered a digest separator, while a line of
32 dashes is considered a digest terminator.  LISTSERV prepends an
extra space to lines of 30 dashes so that they will not be
misinterpreted but my tests show that it does nothing when building a
digest with postings that contain lines of 32 dashes.

Andrew.