Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:41:51 -0400
That particular FAQ entry is addressed to a List Owner (note the
question refers to "my subscribers") so it is important to let them know
they can try the SERVE command but it might not work for them.

The SERVE command always works when issued by the Site Maintainer, but
works selectively when issued by someone with lesser authority.

There are various reasons why an address may get into Served OFF status.
One of those is by command from the Site Maintainer. If that were the
reason, then the SERVE command issued by others would not work.