j newton <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:11:59 -0800
The list is pretty well described at
http://www.piclist.org

Its not company sponsored (read: us admins don't have much time to spend on
it) and is hosted by a server at MIT on a "don't bug us and we'll forget
about you" basis (read: no site manager or developer). We have a HUGE number
of lurkers (read: lots of subscribers who have no investment in the list
content) and a few active professionals who have somehow developed a need to
help out the newbies (read: most posts either come from people who just
subscribed to the list and didn't read the welcome message or from very busy
pros who don't have time to worry about list issues)

When one of the lurkers in lower Astonia has an ISP who doesn't know how to
run a mail server, the newbies don't know what to do and often react by
posting wild... stuff, the lurkers don't care and the pros start getting
pissed of and leave (very bad).

My concern with Auto-Delete is that, at least the last time we tried it, it
has to send error messages to all the list owners and, as I mentioned, most
of us don't have time to read them. We currently just have the messages
being dumped in to a bit bucket at [log in to unmask] Can the
auto-delete messages be routed to only one owner?

Also, the last time we tried it, it seemed to cause more problems than it
solved...
...maybe it's time to give it another shot.

The headers are:

PUT PICLIST LIST PW=XXXXXXXX
* pic microcontroller discussion list
*
* Owner=  [log in to unmask]
* Owner=  [log in to unmask]
* Owner=  [log in to unmask]
* Owner=  [log in to unmask]
* Review= [log in to unmask]
* Review= [log in to unmask]
* Review= [log in to unmask]
* Review= [log in to unmask]
* Review= [log in to unmask]
* Subscription= Open,Confirm
* Send= Private
* Notify= Yes
* Reply-To= List,Respect
* Files= No
* Mail-Via= DIST2
* Ack= No
* Loopcheck= Full
* Validate= No
* Language= NOHTML
* Notebook= Yes,G,Monthly,Public
* Stats= Normal,[log in to unmask]
* Stats= [log in to unmask]
* Stats= [log in to unmask]
* Stats= [log in to unmask]
* Errors-To= [log in to unmask]
* Daily-Threshold= 250
* Sizelim= 1000
* Created 1995
* Topics= [PIC], [EE], [AD], [OT], [SX], [AVR], [BUY]
* Default-Topics= All
* Default-Options= Repro
*
* Confidential= Yes

Thanks for takeing the time to read it over and make suggestions.

---
James Newton (PICList Admin #3)
mailto:[log in to unmask] 1-619-652-0593
PIC/PICList FAQ: http://www.piclist.com or .org