Ed Paynter <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 00:41:11 -0400
>Date:    Tue, 2 Jul 1996 10:16:51 +1000
>From:    James Hale <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: rejected duplicate posts
>
>Hi,
>
>One of the lists I manage seems to be behaving strandely.
>
>Each post to the list (one two editors can post) actually gets through to
>the subscribers BUT a reject notice is sent back to the poster (myself or
>the other editor) informing them that the post has been rejected as it
>has...
>
>>Your message  is being returned to  you unprocessed because it  appears =
>>have
>>already  been distributed

(snip)

>It seems like a loop and bounce, I think.
>I thought that some subscriber on the list was bouncing the message and
>somehow LISTSERV thought it was getting a legal post from an editor and
>thus responded as above.
>
>However I have yet to find where the bounce is.
>There is one domain and one user mentioned in the reject.
>Of the domain, there are three users.
>I have unsubscribed these users (three from domain and the single
>explicitly named) and tried posting to the list but still get the
>reject/duplicate post.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>James,

I experienced the same problem the other day. I use Eudora. It seems I
pressed the Shift key when I selected Reply to a message from a list. The
"TO:" addresses created included the list name multiple times, with a format
like this:

A long list name was here <LISTNAME@SITENAME>, Multiple recipients of list
LISTNAME <listname@SITENAME>

Of course, I've changed the listname and eliminated lots of spaces. The
important thing is the listname appears in one instance in lower case; the
other in upper case. Apparently *my* program did not detect these to be the
same address and sent the reply to the net to what it thought were two
*different* addresses. LISTSERV was smart enough to catch it and send the
message that you also got.

Check you outgoing addresses when you reply to a message from your list.

Later.  Ed