Perrine Crampton <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Jul 1996 08:55:54 EST
Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Disclaimer: This message is NOT intended as a flame! It's simply an effort to
provide another perspective on this "WHY do people use ccMail??!!" issue. If
you've had enough of that discussion, please feel free to delete this message
now. :-)

Well, Murph quoted Philo, who quoted Murph, who quoted someone else:

>On Wed, 26 Jun 1996 19:06:39 -0400, Philo wrote:
>At 08:55 06/22/96 -0500, Murph Sewall scribed:
>>Why add redundant info, the Sender & To headers (and usually the Reply-to)
>>headers already identify the list name.
>
>As has been pointed out, many people using email in a corporate/workplace
>environment have their email selected *for* them. I'll use my favorite
>example: cc:Mail. cc:Mail, as stated by Lotus, is designed as a "corporate"
>email package, with internet functionality as an afterthought.

Murph replies with:
>I have little sympathy for organizations that insist on using braindead
>software.
[snip]

>I think it would be more interesing to simply ask users to request that
>their IS managers install mail software that is Internet
>functional--there's plenty enough available.

Murph, that's not the point. In MANY corporations, the decision for
which software is used for email is made by corporate 'chiefs' and the
'indians' have ABSOLUTELY no choice in the matter!

I am at one of those "big corporations" that made a corporate decision
to standardize on ccMail for their email software. I had no choice in
the matter. (Too low on the totem pole! ;-) )

The point is, most users have to make do with what they've got. I have
ccMail, I have to manually put in all the > to quote all the stuff you
guys say. Yeah, it's a REAL drag. But thems the brakes and that's what I
do.

When subscribers join my lists (I think I've got 5 Listserv lists now),
very few of them are hampered by ccMail. My biggest problem is teaching
them how to quote PARTS of messages in their replies!

[cut]

>LSOFT *may* choose to make life eaier for those stuck with "common
>denominator" mail systems, but LSOFT is in no way obliged to accomodate
>mail software that fails to comply with (computing time) ancient standards.

Right. I agree. You can't spend all your time trying to make everyone happy. It
just doesn't work. Someone's always going to complain; no matter what you do.
I'd rather LSOFT work on the various enhancements that we've been talking about
than try to deal with "fixing the world's problems." :-)

>If you can't afford Eudora Pro, then use Eudora Lite until you can :-)

Again, I, and many other corporate Internet users, do NOT have a choice for the
software used at work. Now, we do have the choice of getting a separate account,
JUST for managing Listserv lists; but that's not a real popular choice.