Roger Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 2 Dec 1994 19:27:07 -0500
> Do people think that it is OK to accept announcements from publishers?
> On the one hand, this is exactly the information we want. On the other,
> it's obviously commercial.

The rule that's easy for me as list-owner is that commercial messages may
not be posted directly by the would be advertiser, but may be posted by
others.  That is, "consumer reviews" are allowed.  You might invite
would-be advertisers to send their messages to you for possible forwarding
to the list.

But this method may be troublesome for lists which have many "academic"
merchants for whom it would be more efficient to allow direct posts.  If
you are able draw a distinction, clear to all, between posters whose
advertising messages are approporiate for the list and those that are not,
then it may be best to make a formal rule in that regard.  But if you're
not able to make such a clear distinction, then you may be challenged as
to "why did you let one group post their advertisement, but not the other
group".   Then it may be better to use the easy rule I described above.

-- Roger Burns   [log in to unmask]