"CAVEMAN -- San Bernardino, Calif. USA" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 18 Feb 1995 00:14:53 -0800
An easy solution (to me anyway) to the problem of a printed Listowner's
Manual is to self-publish the book.  I have a binding machine for spiral
bindings, and I do the printing on my laserprinter.

In addition to being a co-owner of the MADNESS mailing list, I do computer
consulting under the name Muscupiabe Software, sell books under the name
Muscupiabe Books, and do linguistics work under the name of Indigenous
Languages Project.  I do a LOT of technical writing (software manuals) --
most of it in English, but for some of my I.L.P. work, I've written
technical manuals in Native American (American Indian) languages and in
Spanish (Mexico dialect).  I do all my printing and binding work here
(not too many publishers can print Cherokee, Cree, or Inuit syllabaries).

I do printing on a small scale, since I am a small outfit.  My costs for
everything come out to about 7 cents per page (printed both sides, including
paper, toner, machine wear and tear, etc.).  If electronic versions of
documentation were available, I don't see the problem with printing your
own copy.  Punch the paper with a three hole punch and put the pages in a
3-ring binder if nothing better is affordable.  My self-published books
don't look all slick and glossy like the ones at the bookstore do, but
they serve the purpose, and my users find them very readable which is the
ultimate goal anyway.

Most word processor programs have a concordance function, as well as indexing
and other good stuff.  Your index could include any word or phrase you
want it to.  (For publishing, I use WordPerfect for Windows 6.0.)

My ideal is having both printed documetation AND an electronic file that
I can search using software.

Chuck Coker
                                  /\_/\
                                 ((0 0))
  |                            Chuck Coker                             |
  |                          Technical Owner                           |
  |                        MADNESS Mailing List                        |
  | e-mail:  [log in to unmask]               voice: (909) 882-2099 |