"C. William Westerfield" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 18:32:41 -0400
I recently had the painful experience of converting a Yahoo Groups! Forum
(of over 600 subscribers) to LISTSERV.  The pain wasn't in the technical
conversion.  That was, of course, a breeze.  The pain came in the torrents
of emails that followed with people screaming about the "disastrous" move.

A week before we made the move, we explained in a no-geek-ese way,
explaining why we were moving the list, where we were moving the list to.the
webpage for the archives and subscription management of the list, and of
some basic information about our new host.a service that specializes in
nonprofit technology.  Finally we discussed how to manage subscriptions.
Then three days before the move, we once again posted a note to Yahoo Groups
forum and then 24 hours before the move we posted a briefer note. This is an
active group of people and no one contacted us before the move with any
questions, even though we encouraged them to.

I have been a LISTSERV user since 1989.the system is in my blood, but I
realize not everyone is like that so the list administrative team made sure
that we put everything in as much non-technical language as we could.  We
just don't see where we went wrong. Any suggestions for future transitions?

Many Thanks,

Will Westerfield

--

C. William Westerfield

TIA Group

www.tiagroup.net

Phone: 231-995-9561

Fax: 231-995-9562

Pager: 231-274-0330

Email-To-Pager: [log in to unmask]

Vocation is "The place where our deep gladness meets the hunger of the
world", Frederick Buechner

The information contained in this e-mail is privileged and confidential,
intended only for the use of the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the
reader of this transmission is not the intended recipient, or employee or
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in
error, please immediately notify us by telephone, and return e-mail. Thank
you for your assistance and cooperation.