Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:32:13 -0500
Fred H Olson wrote:

> To bring this back a little bit to Listserv ownership...  Various listserv
> programs use various approaches ('standards') for accomplishing the task.
> As an experienced list manager who has recently started to manage a
> Listserv list, I am more and more inclined to wish I could limit my list
> management to one listserv. (Note case - Listserv vs listserv - capital L
> is L-soft's product, lower case is a category of software - isn't language
> wonderful.) BTW I think the listserv software I'd like to specialize in is
> Mailman (a few versions hence :).  Listserv seems overly complicated to
> me.

Actually, this is not true.  Listserv, listserv, and even LISTSERV are all
registered trademarks of LSoft, and are the premium mailing list management
software on the internet.  The generic term you are looking for is MLM or
Mailing List Manager.  All of the other programs are MLMs.  Programs like
Majordomo, Listproc, and Mailman are all MLMs.  Only Listserv is listserv.

Sometimes I think I'm just shouting into the wind...

Harold
--
Harold Pritchett
The University of Georgia              Enterprise IT Services

   Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.