Mauri Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 20:31:19 -0500
I got into a somewhat acrimonious discussion with one of our
subscribers over the content of a post I rejected...and DEOS-l didn't
have a written policy to justify my actions...so i wrote one.  (Zane Berge
and i wrote an editorial policy for IPCT-L that has saved us countless
hours of hassle over the past three years...I like written policies)

This is the policy regarding "Advertising" on DEOS-L...I use the CREN
guidelines as they justified nicely (appeal to higher authority) what
we wanted for DEOS-L...(and we have been 'spoken to' in the past
because we were not as rigorous as we perhaps could have been in
enforcing them.)

/mauri collins, deos-l moderator, ipct-l owner
*********************************
The Pennsylvania State University is a user of BITnet, a
network managed by the Corporation for Research and Education
Networking, (CREN).  CREN has an written policy which sets
out acceptable use of their networks (see the CREN Acceptable
Use policy in the file CREN NET_USE, available from [log in to unmask])

We are required, as a participating site, to uphold the CREN
standards, and ensure our users also comply. (see CREN Terms of
Membership and Affiliation, CREN TERMS from LISTSERV@BITNIC).
DEOS-L uses a BITnet address (DEOS-L@psuvm), as does our listserv
(LISTSERV@PSUVM) and many of our subscribers receive their mail
at BITnet addresses.

CREN expressly forbids the use of its networks for "commercial
purposes, such as marketing. . ." and "Advertising is forbidden".

However, it is the desire of the American Center for the Study
of Distance Education (the sponsor of DEOS-L) to inform the
readers of DEOS-L of new products and services that pertain to
the subject matter of this list (Teaching and Learning at a
Distance).

In order to meet both objectives, we have formulated the
following DEOS-L policy to ensure our compliance with CREN
Acceptable Use Guidelines.

                                                                                                                                Policy re: Announcments

Staff persons of the American Center for the Study of
Distance Education (the sponsor of DEOS-L) will review for
posting ANNOUNCEMENTS of new products (books, videotapes,
software, etc.) and services (conferences, workshops etc.)

These ANNOUNCEMENTS shall not contain any reference to cost,
nor contain order forms nor registration forms.  They may
contain the name and contact information of a person or
organization from whom such order or registration forms can
be obtained.  Contact information may be postal addresses,
electronic mail addresses, telephone numbers etc.

If a product or a service is being provided free of charge,
that may be so stated in the ANNOUNCEMENT.

The content or subject matter of all products and services must
pertain to teaching and learning at a distance.  The use of
technologies commonly used in distance education to convey
content unrelated to teaching and learning at a distance
(e.g. workshops on child care methods or general accounting
procedures or conferences that do not have a Distance Education
theme or track) is not sufficient to qualify an ANNOUNCEMENT for
posting to DEOS-L.

Posts will be returned to senders for re-formulation or for
distribution to other lists if they fail to meet the above
guidelines.  Final determination of suitability for posting
shall rest with the Directors of the American Center for the
Study of Distance Education.

September 10, 1994
mauri collins,
Moderator, DEOS-L
ms mauri p. collins ma            /\\//\     Calder Square Box 10002
Internet: [log in to unmask]       > () <          State College
BITnet:   mmc7@psuvm              \/()\/          PA 16805, USA

 Program Assistant, American Center for the Study of Distance Education
  Co-editor,  Computer-Mediated Communication and the Online Classroom
         Managing Editor & Reviewer, [log in to unmask]
              Senior Consultant, Berge Collins Associates