Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 28 Aug 1994 14:18:06 EDT
Message I just sent to Lat Letendre.  jh

On Sun, 28 Aug 1994 11:34:18 -0600 you said:
>Is it possible to view the text of particular postings to a listserv
>without getting an entire monthly archive?  Based on recent LSTOWN-L mail
>re-dbase searching, I sent the following  to the listserv that maintains
>MEDLAB-L:
>********************
>// Job Echo=No
>Database Search DD=Rules
>//Rules DD *
>SEARCH p letendre in MEDLAB-L from 94/07/01 to 94/0730
>SEARCH i
>/*
>**************************************
>The listserv responded:
>
>> SEARCH p letendre in MEDLAB-L from 94/07/01 to 94/07/30
>--> Database MEDLAB-L, 14 hits.
>
>> SEARCH i
>--> Database MEDLAB-L, 14 hits.
>Question: What message do I send to be able to view only these archived
>messages? Many thanks, Pat

Pat
  I am confused about the line in your search program:  SEARCH i
What is that supposed to do?  The line following the SEARCH p letendre ...
one should be an index line, i.e., just the word INDEX (or its abbreviation
I).
   What that line does is instruct LISTSERV to provide you with a list
of the 14th messages that matched your search parameters.  What you do
is examine the list and determine which are the ones you want to see.
You then send the same or modified program (cf. this morning's exchange
between Douglas Winship and Eric Thomas) with the addition of a PRINT line
in which you specify the item numbers you want printed, e.g.
PRINT 24563 24575-24577 24619

   In return you will be sent the text of those messages.

   By the way, your date parameters, if you do include them, do not have
to be limited to a calendar month.  If I am trying to recall a specific
message that I remember seeing after July 4 but before I left for vacation
on August 18    my date parameters would be:  from 94/07/04 to 94/08/17
If I were pretty sure the message had appeared on July 4 I could use
from 94/07/04 to 94/07/04  or, to be on the safe side, from 94/07/03 to
94/07/05

Judith Hopkins
Technical Services Research and Analysis Officer
Central Technical Services
Lockwood Library Building
State University of New York at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY  14260-2200