Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:06:17 -0500
On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Chris Anderson wrote:

> Jim, et al, see below... You raise some good points, and I wanted to address
> them in turn.
>
> --
> Chris Anderson
> Director, Technical Support
> Unify Corporation
>

> I don't believe that there is a platform out there that doesn't have some
> form of mail client available for it that understands more than plain text.
> Of course, having said that, I expect someone to come up with an obscure
> platform that doesn't :-)
>
> The issue is, of course, that without some level of interpretation by the
> mail client, you have to plow through extraneous "stuff" to read the
> message.  My point is that the tools are freely available to avoid this.

  Chris, that may be true in the commercial world but there is more to the
e-mail and list universe than that.  I run a largish list (3300 plus
subscribers in 46 countries) for librarians in all sorts of libraries,
from the Library of Congress to the smallest academic, public, and school
library.  Some of those institutions are just entering the Internet world,
others were pioneers.  Often the librarian was given no training in the
use of the mailer being used and has no idea of how to change the defaults
provided. In such an environment only a list that uses plain vanilla text
can be effective.

Judith Hopkins, Listowner of Autocat
     [log in to unmask]     AND  [log in to unmask]
     My home page: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~ulcjh
     AUTOCAT home page:
     http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/units/cts/autocat/