Tue, 19 Sep 1995 15:53:39 -0700
As people on this list remember, I was dealing with a real problem child on my
lists awhile back. Many people on this list gave me very good advice and
suggestions on what to do with the net.jerk, who was claiming that if I
filtered him, I would be denying him his rights under the First Amendment.

Well, I got rid of him, but he is now going after another listowner in
anthropology. This person is Dr. James Dow, who runs a Majordomo list that has
a private membership to start with. My problem child (let us call him RJ for
easy reference) crashed the list and began his usual pattern of accusations
and demands, including calling Dr. Dow names on the public list.

Since Dr. Dow is running a Majordomo list, he is not on our forum here, and
has given me permission to post his email address <[log in to unmask]>
and ask for help. The legal department at Oakland University is worried that
RJ is correct in insisting on his First Amendment rights, and Dr. Dow is
unclear as to what to do. As of this afternoon, he had filtered the problem
child, but would like comments from others on his legal stand. Jim Cocks,
could you send that information on what the University of Kentucky's legal
counsel decided? If others could send support to Dr. Dow, I'm sure that he
would appreciate it. Until I contacted him, he thought that he was the only
listowner being attacked. I reassured him that there were at least three of us
and perhaps we should form a separate list?

Thanks.

Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
PHONE: (602) 965-4579              FAX: (602) 965-9169
[log in to unmask]  Owner: HISTARCH, SPANBORD, SUB-ARCH