Listserv Manager <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Jul 1996 17:52:31 -0400
I own a list that includes some fairly famous folks (as in famous to a
large public, not just in an academic field.) I understand very well why
some of them try to preserve their anonymity, and I appreciate their
willingness to participate in whatever way they can. One very famous
individual who has participated under his own name has been attacked
unfairly for activities related to the list.

I get unhappy is when anonymity is used for secretive or slanderous or
misleading purposes. We had one case where someone posted something
similar to the sponsored testimonials one sees on TV, e.g., hiring an
"independent" spokesperson to read copy from an advertiser or using shell
organizations to bestow phony awards or give "bad" reviews. We promptly
set her to review...
 -- [log in to unmask] Listserv Manager At Syracuse University --