Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 09:40:28 EDT
On Mon, 25 Aug 1997 08:59:08 -0400 Pete Weiss said:
>|>SET listname SHORT822 for *@*.NAVY.MIL
>|
>|Huh???  SHORT822 is the same as SHORTHDR or SHORT.  Perhaps
>|you meant IETFHDR.
>
>I stand by what I said about the use of SHORT822 (it is not the same as
>SHORT at least on VM/CMS 1.8c).

Pete's right.  SHORT822 is not the same as SHORTHDR/SHORT .  SHORT822
is an obsolete header setting that you can still use for debugging as
it sends the mail out with only a single RCPT TO: in the RFC821 envelope.
It's not recommended to set a list to default to this setting because
it defeats the purpose of DISTRIBUTE.  The nomenclature did change in
1.8b (and unfortunately the early version of the 1.8b list owner's manual
did not take this into account, but current versions do).  The following
is taken from the 1.8b list owner's release notes:

- Changes in header option names: to  reflect the fact that the so-called
  "BSMTP" headers have  been the default header type for  all users since
  version 1.8a (and  for Internet users since version  1.6a), whereas the
  so-called  "RFC822" headers  are only  retained for  compatibility with
  historical software implementations, the  header option names have been
  renamed as follows:  the old SHORTHDR and FULLHDR  options were renamed
  to SHORT822 and FULL822, respectively, and the SHORTBSMTP and FULLBSMTP
  options were renamed to SHORTHDR  and FULLHDR. The xxxBSMTP options are
  still accepted and produce the desired result; however, users who still
  absolutely  need  the  "RFC822"  headers  will  have  to  use  the  new
  SHORT822/FULL822 option  names. Note  that "RFC822" vs  "BSMTP" headers
  actually  refer to  the  name  of delivery  "exits"  for the  so-called
  "Crosswell Mailer", the first implementation  of a RFC822 mail transfer
  agent  for VM.  Both  sets of  headers are  RFC822  compliant, but  the
  "BSMTP"  headers could  only  be submitted  to  the Crosswell  Mailer's
  through its "BSMTP interface", which was not available in the first few
  versions.  Again, this  distinction  is purely  historical and  totally
  irrelevant to Internet  users. For all practical  purposes, the "BSMTP"
  headers are the  normal RFC822 headers and the "RFC822"  headers are an
  old  type of  header required  by very  old versions  of the  Crosswell
  Mailer.