Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 9 Dec 1995 17:18:03 +0200
On    Sat,    9    Dec     1995    09:35:15    -0500    Mark    Hunnibell
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>Obviously, I think the solution is  to make the next version of LISTSERV
>capable of understanding files sent to it in BASE64 and QUOTED-PRINTABLE
>format,

That has  already been  implemented, and  indeed it will  be in  the next
version.

>FULLHDR settings increase the volume of each message

We're talking about  a total of maybe  another 100k of data  in an active
user's mailbox.  If you  have 10,000  users, it  will add  up to  a whole
gigabyte :-)

>and, in some  cases, result in the message having  a header that exceeds
>the  maximum   hop  count  for   the  reciving  mail   systems,  causing
>non-delivery.

That's a problem  with the receiving mail system, not  with LISTSERV. The
17 hop limit dates back to the early 80s. The users who are impacted will
complain to  their local system  administrators, who are the  people with
the ability to change this setting.

Let's face it, there  will always be people who use  10 year old hardware
or software, but you can't hold progress because of them.

  Eric