"Russell, D (Duncan)" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:07:37 +0100
Sorry to follow up this thread with another question but if you post an
attachment to a list and it is  stored in a monthly archive can the
subscribers ever actually get that attachment from the archives. It strikes
me that once in the form of an archive the attachment would be effectively
lost.

Is this right  ?

Duncan

-----Original Message-----
From: George Frajkor [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 19 September 2000 07:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: sending attachments

Larry Ermis wrote:

>I am a new owner of a LISTSERV discussion group.
>
>What is the proper method of sending file attachments to
>the subscribers?  I receive a REJECT message when
>trying to attach MS Word 7 files.  My SIZELIM = 200.

    The best method is not to send attachements at all.  You have no
idea what kind of system your subscribers are working with.. which can
vary from Unix to Linux to Commodore 64 , Amiga and Mac.
     MSWord files are useless to anything but a Wintel system, and
even then some appliations cannot read them.  Send your stuff as ASCII
and everyone will be happy.
   (In any case, many people now do not trust any attachments, after
getting hit by Mellissa and the Love Bug in particular)

--

    Jan George Frajkor                      _!_
 School of Journalism, Carleton Univ.      --!--