Keith Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 15:31:21 -0500
> I think it would be more workable to simply take direct action.  We
> should probably do the homework to identify who the bad guys are,
> sit and cool off for a day, and then put out a call to our readers
> for each of them to send a large file to the offending site if the
> site hasn't cleaned up its own mess.

I don't think this will work very well.  The problem is that this kind
of action could very well be as damaging as the spams in the first
place, and equally vulnerable to legal action.

I'd love to see the net community find a way to solve this within
itself, but the service providers are in a wierd position.  If they
disconnect a user for misbehavior, they might be seen as actively
controlling content, and thus they might be held responsible for the
content of everyone's posts.  (just wait 'til somebody sends a nekkid
picture of their kid and the service provider gets sued for
transmitting kiddie porn.)

Basically, sooner or later the courts will claim to have jurisdiction
over the net, and the cops will back them up.  I don't see that as
desirable (I'd much rather have the net police itself), but I don't
know what to do about it.

So at this point I suspect the legal system is our best bet, but I'd
certainly like to hear of other suggestions.

Keith