"Ahern, Shannon" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:42:35 -0800
Thanks, Rich. I can see that will help me if spam does start to get
through to my lists, because I can reject the questionable posts if they
come to me somehow.

But what I am wondering is why spam *doesn't* get through to my other
lists, but it gets sent to the *moderators* of the "edited" lists for
approval.

I am wondering if Listserv is catching it when it is posted to the other
lists, but letting the moderators decide in the case of the edited list.
Or to put it another way, does the fact that the list is edited have
technical priority over the default spam filters, so they never even
kick in in the case of the edited list?

I would think it was because we allow posts by subscribers only, and
clearly a spam account didn't subscribe and therefore their posts are
rejected as any non-subscriber's post would be, except again for the
fact that they get to the moderators of the edited list, which is also
subscriber-posting only.

Shannon  :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Greenberg [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 3:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Spam Filter - how it works with edited (moderated) lists

On: Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 02:00:44PM -0800,Ahern, Shannon Wrote:

} Hi-
}
} Just today we've received > 5 mass email spams to one of our edited
} lists.   I've never seen a spam message get through to any other list
of
} ours (all require subscription to post).  Is there any way to find out
} why this is the case?  If one list is getting spammed, I would have
} expected them all to be spammed. Is there a way I can when the spam
} filter deploys and what it has rejected?
}
} Or are all of the lists getting spammed, but the listserv software
} automatically filters out spam for the unmoderated lists, but passes
the
} buck for the moderated list?
}
} I did check the documentation, but I didn't see any mention of the
spam
} filter operating differently based on whether the list was edited or
} not. (Not to say I couldn't have missed it!)

If you put the following lines in your header:

> * Send= Editor,Hold,NoMIME
> * Editor= [log in to unmask],(Chinook-l)

Then any subscriber not set to REVIEW can post without restriction but
any non-subscribers and spam will go to the owner(s) for approval, which
you don't give.  (Adjust for your list and address.)

--
Rich Greenberg   Work:  Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com   +1
770-563-6656