Eric Paul-Hus <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 11:31:12 -0800
Someone from  "Women's and Gender Studies"  wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been trying to update the header of our list, but am having
> trouble. According to the instructions I have, I'm supposed to "simply
> make the desired changes to the list header, place the list's password on
> the first line, and send the whole file back to the listserv."  So I've
> copied the file to an outgoing message, made the changes, and put our
> password on the first line, but I keep receiving messages that say
> "Unknown command," so apparently it's reading our password as a command.
> But it says to put the password on the first line. What am I doing wrong?
> Thanks!

1) Can you supply aa sample of the first lines including the header you
are trying to put back ?
2) The idea is to change the PW=XXXXX to your real password, I am
unclear
when you say "you put the password on the first line"
3) If your first line reads:
PW=MyPassd
Then it's wrong, it should read
PUT listname LIST [ ( _options_ ] PW=MyPasswd

That's the best I can think with the info you gave ...

HTH,

PS As mentionned in the manual and by other owners it is always best to
GET listname  (HEADER
If does not change the PUT syntax but it does avoid having trouble or
wiping out the subscriber list ...
* And be certain not to apppend signature of blank lines, doing so can
wipe out the list ...
Why am I reminding that again ? Better safe then sorry :-)

--
Eric Paul-Hus , BLUES-L