Listserv Admin <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 15:19:02 -0500
On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Philo wrote:

> At 12/1/97 05:41 AM , Amy Stinson wrote:
> >I received this in my email today.  I thought a few of you might be
> >interested:
> >
> >>My server Austasia, decided to filter out all LISTSERV messages, too

> dozens of lists, most of which they'd never read (of course, I'd grant
> exceptions upon review).
>
> Having said that, for a commercial ISP to do so, while not censorship, is
> pretty stupid.

Somewhat related incident:

  There seems to be several groups on the net that have taken steps to
reduce spam.  One such group is:  http://maps.vix.com/
My first indication that we made it to the database was when all LISTSERV
mail started bouncing to some ISPs where our students have e-mail
accounts.  Then I noticed that what this group does is ban domains, so the
machine that LISTSERV runs on was black listed. In order to get off
this list, which is apparently used by other ISPs, you have to demonstrate
that you are taking steps to prevent anyone "out there" from using
your machine as a spam relay.  It was suggested by one ISP (kos.net)
who uses the above database, that we install qmail (Apparently someone in
France used our machine to spam them) and use the anti-spam features... so
we recently got rid of SUN sendmail and installed Eric Allman's v8.8.8 and
kos.net requested they remove us from the database.

  We have mixed feelings about this approach, but complying with the
suggestion to use some anti-spam software seemed to be more
time efficient then trying to track down spammers which often requires
either reluctant or time consuming co-oporation from system
administrators.  At any rate, a similar incident could explain why it
might apprear that all Listserv mail was filtered, when in fact the
domain has been black listed (domain= [log in to unmask]*.*).

--Trish

---------
Trish Forrest
ITS - Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada