Thu, 1 Dec 1994 01:41:42 -0600
This is a miniflame, so flame on!

What is going on with this list?  I've been helping a couple of
listowners with problems in my bumling, illinformed manner, and have
told them not to be afraid to post "dumb" questions to this list
(I do it all the time and make dumb comments to boot) as they will
get lots of answers from those who know better than I.  They post
to the list and get zilch in return.

And we have had great opportunities for discussion on lists and
listownership (ethics and philosophy thereof) which have been totally
ignored (I didn't respond to the item which referred to one of my
arguments as a "red herring" (which it was not) as I was sure lots
of others would jump in).

To (probably) misquoute, " We can all hang together, or we can hang
separately."  And if you don't believe that, take a look at the Nov. 23
issue of _The Chronicle of Higher Education_ .  There are folk out with
loaded guns to get us because they don't like the authority, however
lightly it may be applied, we have over our lists.  The author of the
article (p. A21, "Gatekeeping on the Internet") asked questions on this
list and interviewed us, via a conference call, and I imagine he talked
to a few others of you.  If you haven't read it, read it.

So, where is everyone?  Why aren't people getting the help they need?
Why no discussion on legal and philosphical matters pertaining to lists
and listownership when there are ripe topics crying to be addressed
presented on the list?

How about some response, hmm?

miniflame off

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner