Thu, 14 May 1992 12:03:00 EDT
We use private send for many of our lists in order to keep the traffic
relevant.  I am amazed at the number of people who have the time to send as
much *stuff* to as many lists as they do.  On a very few lists we do
restrict postings to the listowner only.  Personally, I do not like owner
only posting because it slows communication.

In a few instances, we have restricted subscriptions to the list, usually
because the messages are not intended for broad distribution.  I recently
subscribed to acadv at ndsuvm1.  Instead of getting the usual you are
subscribed message, I got a note from the listowner asking for a brief
intro.  Within a few minutes after my intro to his personal id I was advised
that I was subscribed.  I thought it was an excellent touch.  Apparently, no
one is rejected, but it does give one a sense of being connected.

As for the question of sending messages to a send=private list, my
experience is that the sender is notified that "You are not authorized to
post to LIST".  I'm not sure whether I got a message telling me who could
post but a short time later my note was discributed.

ACADV also provides some nice help files.  Hal Caldwell does a nice job.

James H. Sleezer                            BITNET:    jhs8@psuvm
Instructional and Technological             INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]
     Support Services
201 Chambers Building                       PHONE:     (814) 865-0471
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802