Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 7 Sep 1996 17:11:12 -0400
        Hi.  Does anyone know how to disable the "feature" on Microsoft Mail
that causes it to attach base-64 encoded garbage at the end of every mail
message?  I think the encoding is just a version of the message that appears
normally in the first part, but 1) the encoding creates a lot of confusion
among my list's subscribers, who then write to me to ask what all this stuff
is, and 2) for some subscribers, apparently, the encoded part puts itself on
their harddrive as a separate attachment.  I don't understand that, but I
do know that I do NOT want people sending ANY kind of encoded message to my
list.  It just creates too much confusion and thus too much work.  So....
does anyone know how to disable the feature?  If so, could you explain it
in very simple terms so that I can pass along the instructions to utter
novices?  And while I'm asking, does anyone know WHY Microsoft Mail spews
forth all this encoded garbage?  If the "feature" can't be disabled easily,
are there alternatives?

        I should add that I tried to find some discussion of this in the
LSTOWN-L archives for 1996, but I didn't find anything.  And at this point
I'd really appreciate a simple answer rather than a reference to a ton of
techie talk.

        Many thanks.

        Joan Korenman

*    Joan Korenman                [log in to unmask]                         *
*    U. of Md. Baltimore County                                             *
*    Baltimore, MD 21228-5398     http://www.umbc.edu/wmst/                 *
*    The only person to have everything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe  *