Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 10:29:20 -0600
>...She said she didn't send one so that leads me to believe that Lsoft sent
a message to her and her machine rejected it as spam or a virus. Lsoft then
dropped because of the returned message.

>However, that doesn't wash because her account was set to NORENEW because
she had some previous problems.

If someone else has called attention to this aspect, I apologize; I missed
it.

NORENEW is not the only way to get dropped off a list because of a returned
message. You might have your Auto-Delete parameters set to overly
hair-trigger behavior, so that one or two rejections dumps someone off the
list.

The problem is that SMTP return codes indicating a "permanent error" have to
do with the likelihood of that particular message getting through if
retransmitted. A spam rejection (regardless of whether it was mistakenly
identified as spam, reacting to actual spam that got through the list, or in
response to spam that spoofed your list address as sender) can knock a
subscriber off.

For my own lists, with a fairly small (<1000) group of subscribers and
non-disruption a major objective, I never allow automatic deletion.
    Auto-Delete= Yes, Manual
gets you the error reports as summaries but leaves you in control of
subscriber removal.

For larger lists, that might not be practical because the work could
overload the owner.

Hal Keen