Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 12 Nov 1994 18:05:16 MST
On Thu, 27 Oct 1994 16:52:47 +0100 Skip Knox said:
>I sympathize with Mark Westergaard.  We're using WordPerfect Office
>at my campus and it too replies to the Sender by default.  There is a
>a second option, to reply to All, but that winds up sending your
>reply both to the list and to the individual.  Pretty annoying to the
>recipient.

   I agree that what my colleague Skip says above is correct.  But, after
training some sixty people on it last week, most of whom were previously
trained by me to be extra careful on lists when using RiceMail//Mailbook
on the mainframe they used to use so that they wouldn't commit e-oops,
they were thrilled with this "feature" (or bug, depending).  They like
the default (which can't be changed, as far as I know), they know how
to reply to all, and they know how to delete the original individual's
address with a quick click and drag to eliminate the duplication (in case
they even care about it).

   I too hope that WordPerf will make it individually configurable by
login in a future release, but one of the key things I try to teach ALL
is that all systems are different, and they had better know the way that
a given system works in advance of making mistakes.  It seems little
different to me than picking up a rental car at an airport in a strange
city.  It is always good to be sure you know where the lights, wipers,
and so forth are before a storm starts in rush hour traffic.  Oh, yeah,
to say nothing of finding out for SURE where the gas tank is and how it
is unlocked before leaving the rental car place.  o-)  These days you
can't even find a person at a gas station who knows if you don't.

cheers, cyclops
   (still catching up on old mail accumulated while at conferences)

  Dan Lester                          Internet: [log in to unmask]
  Network Information Coordinator     WWW: http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
  Boise State University Library
  Boise, Idaho  83725                 In the kingdom of the blind, the
  208-385-1235                        one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus. 1523