Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:40:32 -0500
"LISTSERV list owners' forum" <[log in to unmask]> wrote on
11/11/2004 04:18:01 PM:

> I'm a great proponent of user education, but this is one battle that is
> already lost, and we can't blame this one on Microsoft. I seem to recall
> seeing email addresses published - by people who ought to know better -
> without <> delimiters long before Bill Gates recognized the importance
> of the Internet.

I don't recall seeing anything in the RFCs that require the < and > as
part of an email address.  As far as I can recall, they define an address
as the local part, the "at sign" and the domain.

If I missed something in the RFCs, I'd appreciate someone pointing it out
to me.