James Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 5 Nov 1994 15:57:44 CST
Setup:
------
User from "soas.ac.uk" sends mail to [log in to unmask] to subscribe
to the list PMAIL.  Gets back confirmation, replies successfully and
is on the list.  No problem......he replied successfully, he should get
mail with no problem, right?  Wrong.  All mail to "soas.ac.uk" from the
list bounces.

Apparently some users in *.ac.uk have to register their host in a JANET-
BITNET gateway if they are using that gateway to receive mail.  To quote
from a letter I received from the gateway site ib.rl.ac.uk concerning the
problem with "soas.ac.uk":

        "It is a requirement that JANET sites (those in the .ac.uk
         domain) which require mail delivered to them via any of
         the gateways to JANET, should be registered in the JANET
         NRS database.  This is because some JANET sites do not use
         the Internet DNS to deliver mail.  Our site, the JANET-BITNET
         gateway, is one example of this.  The problem can be solved
         when the site soas.ac.uk is so registered (please note that
         the site defined in the MX record for soas.ac.uk is also
         not in the JANET NRS database."

Fine...no problem.  Filter out "soas.ac.uk" until they get registered.
(I must say that "[log in to unmask]" was extremely helpful in this).

My problem:  How can I filter out sites who use the JANET-BITNET gateway
but who are not registered in the NRS?  Filtering out *.ac.uk is not
an option (I guess....who knows).  Perhaps some text in the list WELCOME
file stating:

      "...all new users from *.ac.uk should set their account
       to _______________ in order to receive mail from this
       list if you are not registered in the JANET-BITNET NRS
       database.  If you are not sure, set your account anyway

What should be in the blank line?  FULLHDR, SHORTHDR, some_other_mystic
header?  How are other sites handling this?

Tia.

-- jf