Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:47:10 -0600
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 17:03:49 -0400, "Kenny, Melissa S"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I´m hoping there´s some way to set this up using substitutions in the footer template, but how do I get it to generate the proper unsubscribe address according to the list the person is actually subscribed to?

You can't.  This is a known disadvantage of using sub-lists.  The mailing goes
out through LISTNAME-A.  Even though some recipients happen to be pulled in
from sub-list LISTNAME-B, the message text is already fully formed and the
fact that these rcpts are actually subscribers to LISTNAME-B is not known to
LISTSERV so it can't properly set the necessary variables for bottom banners.
i.e. all recipients will be asked to unsub from LISTNAME-A.  This is true even
with mail-merge substitutions.

When subscribers to LISTNAME-B attempt to unsub from LISTNAME-A they will get
an error.  You can change the text of this error msg so that subscribers to
LISTNAME-B get specific instructions in how to unsub from LISTNAME-B.

The idea of sending same msg to 2 separate lists (so each list will have its
own separate and correct bottom banners) will probably work, but remember one
of LISTSERV's internal definitions of 'spam' is sending an identical message
to multiple lists.  I know you can get away with 2, but any number 3 or
greater runs the risk of tripping the internal LISTSERV spam filter and
getting the sender quarantined.

You may also think of not using Sub-lists= LISTNAME-B but actually making
LISTNAME-B@... a subscriber of LISTNAME-A.  This also can work if you are
extremely careful to avoid mail loops.  But if you aren't careful, you will
get a message in a loop and send every subscriber to both lists 100 copies of
some message before you can stop the server.  That will instantly make
everyone extremely angry.