Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 11 May 1997 22:41:00 -0600
At 11:24 PM 5/11/97 -0400, you wrote:
>People,
>
>I've recently set up a new list, and am getting queries from subscribers
regarding the "Reply All" functionality. Selecting "Reply" will address the
outgoing mail directly back to the list, as expected. However, the "Reply
All" also adds a second identical list address, rather than the address of
the original poster / author.

>Is there any setting that I am missing in regard to the setting of the
headers so that the "reply all" directs a mail back to the author ?. I've
tried to locate such in the manual, however after an hour I gave up adn
came here instead.

Not to make things complicated, but it isn't that simple.  You apparently
have the reply set to list, respect.  You can have it set to both, respect,
but then the originator gets two replies in most cases.

But.....what things like "reply" and "reply all" do also depends on what
mail system you're using.  I get list mail on MailBook 96(IBM mainframe),
GroupWise 4.1 (Novell Win95), and EudoraPro3.0.1.  Each of them reacts
somewhat differently to what they call "reply" and "reply all" (though they
don't all even use that terminology...the last two do, the first doesn't).
So, listserv is only part of the equation....and there's nothing you can do
about that one.

Good luck on teaching this to some of the less aware listmembers.  I have a
few who still bitch about such things, but I just can't know how to
configure every email package on the market.  I tell them to talk to their
local support folks (campus, ISP, vendor, company, whatever).

dan

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534