Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:04:06 -0600
On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Ahern, Shannon wrote:

> Hi-
>
> Just today we've received > 5 mass email spams to one of our edited
> lists.   I've never seen a spam message get through to any other list of
> ours (all require subscription to post).  Is there any way to find out
> why this is the case?  If one list is getting spammed, I would have
> expected them all to be spammed. Is there a way I can when the spam
> filter deploys and what it has rejected?
>
> Or are all of the lists getting spammed, but the listserv software
> automatically filters out spam for the unmoderated lists, but passes the
> buck for the moderated list?

For lists that only subscribers can post to, any spam that makes it
through the spam filter will be rejected because it is *very* unlikely
to be from a subscriber.

For edited lists, all messages from non-subscribers are forwarded to
the editor for review, instead of being rejected outright the way they
are with "Send= Private".  So any spam that makes it through the spam
filter gets sent to the editor.

I've noticed the difference on the two lists I own.  One is
Send=Private, one is Send=Edit.  I've never seen any spam on the
first, I see occasional spam on the second sent to me for approval,
which I just ignore.  It makes sense to me.

> I did check the documentation, but I didn't see any mention of the spam
> filter operating differently based on whether the list was edited or
> not. (Not to say I couldn't have missed it!)

No, the spam filter operates the same.  It just that whatever makes it
through the spam filter is disposed of differently in the two cases.

Dennis