Mike Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:52:14 -0500
>The paradigms that each presupposes are different -- that
>doesn't mean things can't (won't) be improved, but only up
>to some point.

Just one more thing, to be sure that everyone realizes it.  The vast
majority of the spam you see coming through the gateway will be gone from
your newsgroup by the time you get around to looking at it on your own
system, assuming that your system is properly set up to process cancels
(just had the opportunity to see that AOL does not seem to process any
cancels at all, and seems to have additional spam on top of what I've seen).
The cancelbots act quickly.  The (no doubt) naive idea is to simply allow
the e-mail lists to take advantage of that by NOT gating the messages
immediately.

Mike Holloway