Jae Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:38:36 -0400
> "mylist.net". Any comments on them for people who want to do a small
> list but don't have the usual technical knowledge?

Well, I think we're allowed to discuss some general listowning topics
here... <grin>  I needed to set up a moderated list for about 1000
people; I've been running it pretty much manually from PMDF Mailserv
for almost two years, and am sick to death of the overhead.  Can't
afford Listerv(tm) and don't have a place to install it; and the
parent company has decided that their promise of Listserv(tm)
resources is no longer valid, the bums.

So, today I set up a moderated list via http://www.makelist.com
([log in to unmask]).  Well, it ain't Listserv(tm), but it does
allow me to approve all subscriptions (the list is limited to members
of a parent organization) and approve all postings (it's an
announcement list - only a handful of people are allowed to post to
it).  Only subscribers can view the archives (there's a login and
authentication process).

The setup was done with forms and I found it very easy to
follow.  And so far (with a test population) it seems to work quite
well.

I'd rather have Listserv(tm)...who wouldn't?  But it's a bearable
alternative.

Jae Walker
owner of too many lists for her own sanity...