Ian Fairclough <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:35:13 -0400
Dear LSTOWN-L readers,

Tech Tip (LISTSERV) - Issue 3 - 2007  Q: What are some of the list
configuration techniques that I can use to protect my lists from spam?
Answer by Ben Parker, Chief Corporate Consultant, L-Soft
http://www.lsoft.com/news/techtipLSV-issue3-2007-us.asp says "If you really
want to run a fully moderated discussion list but want to filter out most of
the spam and junk messages, use this setting: Send= Editor, Hold, Confirm,
Non-Member"

On attempting to edit the list header of a list I moderate at a site with
Listserv 1.8e, I got this response:

The following problems have been detected in the list header:

* Send= ...,NON-MEMBER
Error: Incorrect syntax. This parameter must be an "access level" keyword,
such as "Public", "Private", "Owners(listname)", and so on (all without
quotes). The following values are also acceptable: "Semi-Moderated",
"Confirm", "Hold" and "Nomime".

Please refer to the list keyword documentation (available via the "INFO
KEYWORDS" command) for more information about keyword syntax.

PUT operation rejected, old list remains unchanged.
Another list, at a different site with Listserv 14.5, accepted this setting.
Am I right in understanding that the difference in Listserv releases is the
reason for the non-acceptance at one site and the acceptance at the other?

I have had the same responses when using "All" in place of "Non-Member."

Sincerely - Ian

Ian Fairclough
Marion (Ohio) Public Library
tel. 740-383-9725