Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 15:49:14 PDT
> Date:         Thu, 26 Sep 1996 23:56:42 +0200
> From: Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
>
> What's wrong with:
>
> Send= access-level [,Semi-Moderated] [,Hold] [,Confirm]

Eric, Are you asking a question about the visual presentation of
the keyword syntax, or is this a strictly technical question?

I.e., are you asking me to comment on the visual preference of

  Send= access-level [,Semi-Moderated] [,Hold] [,Confirm]
over
  Send= access-level[,Semi-Moderated][,Hold][,Confirm]

or on the techical correctness of, for example

*  Send= Editor ,Semi-Moderated ,Hold ,Confirm
over
*  Send= Editor,Semi-Moderated,Hold,Confirm

For visual ease of reading, I said in an earlier message that I could
live with either the spaces or not in the syntax model.

If you are asking about the latter, whether spaces are _allowed_
by LISTSERV in the SEND= keyword, I don't know. You tell me.
Which of the above examples is correct? First?, second?, both?

If spaces _are_ allowed, then the syntax model with spaces in not only
visually ok, but its technically correct, and I'm delighted.

The technical point about the use of spaces in the syntax model arose
because, if I remember correctly, LISTSERV used to insist that there
be a space following the "=" in the keyword (e.g., "SEND= ", and not
"SEND=" is correct). Is my recollection correct? If so, is this still
true?

Nathan raised the question about why spaces were not ok elsewhere in
the syntax model. I replied in the context of the understanding as I
described above.

And, finally, this whole topic came up because the current documented
definition of SEND wasn't correct, apparently (the issue wasn't about
the spaces, but about how many of the parameters were legal to
simultaneously have in a SEND keyword).
Peter