Joyce Iannuzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 21:14:48 CST
I am ignoring all the network performance enhancements that LISTSERV
with its backbone structure gives our netowrk, but otherwise:

A backbone LISTSERV is a LISTSERV that knows where all the lists are.
If you send a LISTSERV command to a backbone LISTSERV, you can just
say:  query listmane, sub listname, or signoff listname, etc.
You do not have to send message/mail containing the command to the
PARTICULAR LISTSERV (listserv@somehwere) that hosts the list you
want to query or subscribe to, etc.  A backbone LISTSERV will
forward commands to the place that hosts the particular listname
without your having to look it up.  (I am also ignoring peered
lists; I am ignoring a lot but nevertheless....)

You are likely using one or you would have gone nuts querying
all those lists and speling not only the listname but the place
that hosts it correctly.

       -snip-