"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 27 Nov 1994 11:35:00 EST
>Do I need to have some kind of file available to either Mailer (Crosswell
>Maile
>r 2.10) or Listserv (1.8a) that equates owner-list to the primary owner of the
>list so that the first part of the note below doesn't appear and so that one
>can send mail directly to [log in to unmask] if so desired? I have
>owner-
> and -request set up in Mailer's config.

The equivalence of OWNER-listname to a userid is handled strictly by
LISTSERV.  It is an indirect reference via the list definition headers
to the ERRORS-TO: (not OWNER=) keyword.  Similiarly, the
listname-REQUEST is equivalenced to the OWNER= keyword list definition.

If any list definition keyword operand explicitly (or possibly
implicitly) refers to the singular OWNER, then it means the FIRST (or
only) operand of the list definition OWNER= keyword.  If a list
definition operand refers to OWNERS, then it means all non-QUIET owners.

>Also, do owners live with multiple errors per post regarding not being able to
>reach a host or host unknown (when we know it's known) or unable to find A
>rcds
> for MX site?  If not, where do we start looking to solve these problems at
>our
> end?  The name server we use is controlled by PSI at the present.

Unless you are a masochist, no, you need not live with them.
One of the most perplexing problems is when some postings "bounce"
and some don't: this is because there are multiple authoritative
name servers and one or more contain an "error."

Problems with mail delivery are frequency Q&A'd on the NODEINFO
list (at cunyvm.cuny.edu).

Usually contacting the hostmaster, using either utility programs
such as DiG or NSLOOKUP, will help, but NOT always since they
sometimes point to the same host that is having the problem.

Use of the WHOIS db at rs.internic.net can provide telephone
numbers for the technical or administrative contacts for many
domains, but NOT all domains.

Usually the hostmaster at your own institution (or service
provider) can lend assistance.  If not, you should consider
moving to another institution that is Internet-friendly.

Of course if you are getting your service for "free" you might
get what you paid for.

--  co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
[log in to unmask] "It's not kosher, it's spam"   s/me    +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA