Thu, 2 Feb 2006 15:52:05 -0600
Eric Thomas wrote:
> dead addresses, making backups, etc.  As an illustration, a typical hobby
> list would cost  on the order of  $500-1000 a year. An  active list could
> cost $10k  or more  a year. This  may not be  much for  the advertisement
> manager of a large company, not  when compared to print adverts, but what
> about the rest  of us? I know L-Soft hosting  customers cannot afford the
> price increase that would be necessary  to cover an identification fee of
> five figures PER DAY.

I run my lists (all discussion lists for particular professions) from
generous academic host sites.  About a year ago I checked with Eric as to
what it would cost to have one of them hosted at L-Soft.  Ten thousand
dollars per year is about what he told me back then.  That was daunting,
but with this extra fee ....

I didn't move any of my lists to L-Soft hosting, but what I would like to
know is what, if any, impact this stuff will have on academic LISTSERV
host sites.

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]