Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:14:24 -0400
John Lyon wrote:
>>I am currently testing the Super/Sub list features of ListServ and have
>>created several test lists. Is there an easy way to delete the list(s) once
>>testing has been completed? Right now I have to go the server administrator
>>and have him go in through the server to delete any unwanted lists. Is
>>there a command I can send through email or even one that I can add to the
>>web interface using a mailto command?
>

> For security reasons, there is no command to delete a list. Anything like
> this would have to run outside of LISTSERV.

I respectfully disagree.  This is simply a feature that the vendor has
yet to find a business case to implement.  One can create a list using
features of the product. Deleting a list is simply an unimplemented
feature, IMHO.

Maybe reasons it is unimplemented include security and platform related
concerns?  Customers might have a tough time coming to a consensus as to
whom may use such a facility. Just as with creating a list, some
implementations might require actions outside of LISTSERV's control such
as SENDMAIL aliases to be deleted.  Some customers (me!) would want a
delete to simply move all files outside the view of LISTSERV. Then you
might need a "delete the deleted list" command and a "restore the
deleted list" command. Yikes! ;-)

Like many listserv administrators, I've written a little script that in
my shop does a "delete" the way I want, so when a list owner or help
desk or bean counter wants a list deleted, it's trivial to accomplish.

cheers, wayne