Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 May 2002 09:21:55 +1000

> Just a quick question:  is there any real reason to run virus
> protection software on a dedicated LISTSERV / LSMTP box?

We run LISTSERV and our mail exchange on completely seperate boxes.  The MX
has full real-time virus scanning.  LISTSERV does not, has its own SMTP
service (so doesn't need to send via the MX), and it also sits in a DMZ
*outside* our firewall.  Since LISTSERV merely resends mail and doesn't
actually 'read' any of it, viruses won't hurt the machine; similarly,
malicious attacks shouldn't be able to penetrate the firewall.  Any viruses
part of inbound mail that might manage to sneak through on a list (despite
my best efforts to stop it by using the appropriate header keywords) would
be caught & quarantined by the scanner on our MX.  How subscribers protect
themselves is their business.

So, if you're using LISTSERV/LSMTP just for resending of mail then you don't
*need* a virus scanner.  If it sits on your network or inside your firewall
then it's your decision (or your network admin's) to put local virus
protection on it, although you could most likely turn off scanning of SMTP
traffic.  As you've already discovered, some manual tuning may be required.

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.