Fri, 18 Aug 1995 12:55:01 -0700
>The fact that you're not bothered by it may simply mean that you're better
>adjusted than the rest of us.

No, no, I don't think I'll touch _that_ one.

>Spamming is a problem across the net, will continue to be a
>problem, but the pressure exerted by the community against the practice is
>definitely having an effect.

You have absolutely no way of knowing that.

>There'd be much more of it if we didn't make our position known.

This is what's know as a contrafactual assertion.  "If my aunt had wheels,
she'd be a teacart."  There's no way to know whether there'd be more, less,
or the same amount of spamming if you "didn't make our position known".

>I hope the discussion continues, and that list owners can get organized for a
>concerted protest.

For starts, I have doubts as to whether giving someone's phone number to
thousands of people and encouraing them to call and register their
dissatisfaction constitutes a "protest".

However, even presuming that you were able to enlist enough help to make
Mr. Slaton's life sufficiently miserable to cause _him_ to desist, by what
mechanism is that going to dissuade others?  Were you planning on sending
out a message to every mailing list and news group you could think of
warning people not to spam lest Mike Holloway and his Shooting Out Back
Squad come after them?

--
Lefty [gYon-Pa] <[log in to unmask]>