"Peter M. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 29 Aug 1994 10:33:27 EDT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Jean Pierre Wilmotte
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>A (At)  9:33 26/08/94 -0400, Peter M. Weiss ecrivait (wrote):

>>FYI: Getting your name listed in the "headers" is a less
>>     efficient form of network transmission.

>Would you explain why? This is no flame. My knowledge level in network
>transmission is quite low.

Because those headers that contain generic addressing do NOT require
extra e-mails to be delivered and can be sent with multiple RFC821
headers, but only one imbedded "To:" (RFC822) header) i.e., all
recipients of the distribution at a particular site receive the
same "To: " field and thus LISTSERV is able to take advantage of
that by only transmitting a single copy over the net.

"Personalized" To: (RFC822) require a separate and distinct e-mail
transmitted for each individual receiving same.

There are circumstances where the latter IS required (in my
experience).

--  co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
[log in to unmask] "No joyriders on the Info Super Hiway!"+1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA