Thu, 17 Aug 1995 19:23:32 GMT
The only way to get this asshole to stop is by returning the favor: annoy the
living hell out of him.  He's obviously convinced he's going to turn a profit,
so we have to interfer with that.  Signing up for new accounts under assumed
names is just a part of doing business for him, so complaining to sysadmins
when the next one comes isn't going to get us anywhere.  This last one,
NMIA.COM, has made it known that they will happily delete an account, but they
will not take Slaton to court, hit him with additional fees, etc.

The idiot had posted what appears to be his real address in previous spams.
He's changed the address to a PO box this time, and thinks he's so clever that
he's included instructions to do so in his latest ad for the sale of all our
lists' addresses.  Copied from news.admin.net-abuse.misc:

From: [log in to unmask] (Andy Oakland)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.misc
Subject: Re: Two giant Email spam in progress from Jeff Slaton
Date: 16 Aug 1995 20:47:08 GMT

In article <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

>Someone posted last week that the name "Jeff Slaton" is listed  in the
>phone book at the address given in last week's spam.  He's apparently
>just extremely stupid.

That's would have been me.  I called information and got his home number:

        Jeff and Sandy Slaton, (505) 822-8919.

It's apparently the phone in their kitchen.  Some guy who said he was
just renting a room picked up when I called at 7:30 AM their time.

>The old, and apparently real, address is:
>
>Jeff Slaton
>6808 Truchas Dr. NE
>Albuqerque, New Mexico  87109
>USA

What we have to do is be ready to stuff his PO box, his real home address mail
box, and tie up his phones the next time he hits.  If his figures are correct,
and we can get a good portion of our subscribers to participate in a concerted
effort, we should be able to get him in his wallet.

I'm told that there is a bit.listserv.lstwnr-l with a thread on this, but it
doesn't seem to be distributed anywhere I can look.  Can someone confirm this?
 News.admin.net-abuse.misc is a good place to look for information on this
creep.

What are the alternatives?  I don't know about you, but limiting posting
privilages would limit the effectiveness of my list, and moderating is out.
The volume is too high, and I'd just be accused of censoring.

What would really work is if some service provider would take the asshole to
court for violating his subscription agreement, but this does not appear
likely at this time.

Mike Holloway               |* On average, 8 people a day on the waiting list
[log in to unmask]    |  for a transplant die for lack of a donor.
____________________________|* The end-stage diseases treated by transplant
  do not recognize age, race, nationality or pocketbook.
* There is no justifiable reason to deny organ donation, but many myths and
         misunderstandings.
* Next of kin must allow donation.  Your family must know your wishes.
* Only a small fraction of the next of kin of potential donors allow
  donation to take place.
* In general, medical professionals do not recognize their obligation to
  support and promote donation.
Questions? See FAQ:
http://www.lib.ox.ac.uk/internet/news/faq/bit.listserv.transplant.html
or
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/bit.listserv.transplant/