"Louis J. Wiesemann" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 May 1996 13:27:48 EDT
   I retrieved the LEAVING BITNET document from CREN.  In reviewing it I
noticed the warning that sites running LISTSERV/NJE should not update the
:newnode tag to convert subscription addresses, since this could cause
problems.  Can someone tell me what the problems might be.

   I am aware of the problems that might be caused should we drop from
Bitnet and continue to run LISTSERV/NJE.  We are planning to address this
by converting to LISTSERV/TCP or a Unix version.  I can't think of what
problems might be caused by having the :newnode tag updated while we are
still running our current LISTSERV/NJE.  It should just cause subscription
addresses to be converted.  We are already handling Internet/Bitnet addresses
with LISTSERV/NJE, so I don't understand the warning.

   Thanks for any information on this,

                                          University of Louisville
Bitnet:   MAILMNT@ULKYVM        Internet: [log in to unmask]