Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 May 1997 21:49:01 +0200
On Thu, 08 May 1997 15:14:38 -0400 Brad Knowles <[log in to unmask]> said:

>    However,  we don't  design systems  for performance  under "average"
>conditions, we  design for what  we consider acceptable  behaviour under
>worst-case conditions.

Who doesn't?

>    The work that  would be necessary to give you  all the various sorts
>of hooks you'd need  to filter out the mail we don't want  to get, is in
>and of itself  sufficient enough to warrant writing a  system that would
>obviate the need for yours.
>
>    In fact,  in the system  we are writing  from the ground  up, that's
>where the  bulk of  the work is  anyway. The part  of handling  the SMTP
>dialog on non-forking servers, etc... is largely done.

Brad, at  some point  you're going  to have to  decide whether  you're in
operations  and  can't  speak  about development  issues,  or  you're  in
development all right. This statement is one that I would expect from the
development manager  in charge of deciding  how your new mail  service is
going to  be developed, after  having reviewed the potential  benefits of
using  (among  other  bidders)  LSMTP   as  an  API-driven  SMTP  engine.
Incidentally, you are  going to have to  be a lot more  convincing if you
want me to believe that "hooks to filter out the mail AOL doesn't want to
get" is  the bulk of the  development work for AOL's  new ground-breaking
mail system, and everything else is puny and trivial.

>    If we're going to completely replace  it anyway, we might as well do
>the replacement  system *right*, so that  it doesn't need any  kind of a
>"front-end" (replacing a  sendmail front-end with an  LSMTP front-end is
>essentially a NO-OP).

It might be a no-op development wise, but operationally this is something
that could  potentially be deployed very  quickly (as quickly as  DEC can
deliver hardware to your site, and I'll bet they'd deliver REAL fast once
you explained what it would be for and told them who makes the unix boxes
you're using).  You keep telling  us that you  are having a  problem that
threatens the very  existence of AOL's delivery service,  well, if that's
true I  certainly wouldn't use the  word "no-op" to refer  to a potential
solution to this problem, even if it is a temporary one!

>    You've seen the work that Rob Kolstad has done with sendmail, tuning
>it to get multiple millions of mail messages delivered within the period
>of one day, on a Pentium-class machine running BSDI/OS?

No, and I'd be glad to check it  out you give me some pointers, however I
assume that  it is a special  case as there  is a very limited  number of
sites on  the Internet  that have  millions of  real messages  to deliver
daily (AOL, CompuServe, Prodigy, L-Soft, CNET  on a Thursday if they also
send a special, I think that's it).  In order to make this test with live
traffic, you just have  to be one of these sites. In  a lab environment I
got 600k/hour out of sendmail on  an old workstation with about the speed
of a P133. That's without even bothering to tune sendmail. I'm not saying
this is  what Rob did, in  fact I'm sure  his was a much  more legitimate
test, I'm just trying to put things in perspective here. Figures based on
lab configurations or short periods of time just don't mean much.

>    I think this is a new world-record price/performance point,

Well, LSMTP could deliver  100k messages per hour on a  P133 with 64M and
one  drive  when it  was  released  over a  year  ago.  That's 100k  LIVE
recipients from a 15h live test (1.5M deliveries), and tuning was limited
to setting  the desired  number of concurrent  deliveries. Since  then we
have  made  significant  performance improvements,  although  we  haven't
re-run the P133 test (we no longer have the P133, or rather, it's sitting
on someone's desk as a Word machine :-) ).

  Eric