Laura Toms <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 10:46:22 -0400
We are in the process of migrating our non-technical staff off of some
very antiquated office automation machines and into an NT environment.
Since the users are non-technical we are trying to make this transition
as painless as possible.  Their old addresses were of the style like
[log in to unmask], but the new ones are more like [log in to unmask] or
[log in to unmask]  To make things easier we're keeping the old john_doe
type aliases around, so all incoming mail will be delivered, but there
is still a problem with listserv subscriptions.  Since the person is
now [log in to unmask], and he subscribed as [log in to unmask], he cannot
post to the list without resubscribing and/or changing his subscription
address.

Users do not have access to both accounts simultaneously.  When they
migrate, late on Friday they forward all their mail to their new NT
accounts.  Monday morning, they are using the new NT environment.  If
they unsubscribe on Friday, they will miss any messages that are sent
over the weekend.

So what's the best way to instruct people to deal with this?  I'm inclined
to tell them to resubscribe to their lists first thing Monday morning, and
then to send mail to the list owners asking them to delete their subscrip-
tions by their former addresses.  Is there a cleaner way?

If I tell people to do it this way, would generic type instructions
be to subscribe by sending mail to [log in to unmask],
and write to the list owner as [log in to unmask]  Will that
work with majordomo lists?  I know it won't with LISTPROC, but I can
deal with that.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!

= Laura Toms * UNIX Systems Administrator and Postmaster * (614) 761-5016 =
=      Online Computer Library Center, Dublin, Ohio * [log in to unmask]      =