Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 10:20:30 PDT
On Tue, 7 Sep 1999 11:01:48 -0400, KEVIN MCKENZIE <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Make them what is called a QUIET Owner. They can post but cannot read.
> Here is what the header will look like.
>
> * Owner= [log in to unmask] Laura
> * QUIET:
> * Owner= [log in to unmask] Kevin McKenzie
> * Owner= [log in to unmask]
>
> Anything listed with an owner tag below the QUIET tag is considered a quiet
> owner, and can send to the list but not receive the postings.  We do this
> quiet often for peopel people who have multiple accounts to send from but
> only need to recevie mail at one account.

If the person is not a 'subscriber', he/she will not receive messages.
If the person is a subscriber, but is defined as 'NOMAIL',
then he/she will not receive messages.

If the mailing-list is defined as 'SEND=PUBLIC',
then anybody can post to the list, even a non-subscriber.
If the mailing-list is defined as 'SEND=PRIVATE',
then only subscribers & editors & owners can post to the list.

However, from a 'S E C U R I T Y' point-of view,
are you sure(!) that you want to grant 'OWNER' privileges to them,
i.e., the ability to update the header, to, for example,
remove the string 'Owner= [log in to unmask],
and to insert their own ID as the "primary" owner?

Granting 'EDITOR' privileges will allow them to "post",
but will not allow them to "modify" the list-definition.
To me, that sounds more secure.