Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 13:13:44 EDT
On Fri, 25 Aug 1995 10:17:39 EDT Nathan Brindle said:
>You would have to specify a list under VM only if there was a
>filename conflict (e.g., two filelists have a README TEXT file),
>in which case you'd have to request README TEXT listname in order
>to get the right one.

The <listname> in this case is really the <filelistname> - in other words,
you *can* have a filelist without an associated list, which is what I think
the original question was.  We have many filelists here without associated
lists.

The LISTSERV maintainer would need to create the FILELIST and FILEID files
for you and enter the filelist name into LISTSERV FILELIST in order to give
you appropriate permission to get and store the filelist, but once that was
done the LISTSERV maintainer need not be involved... at least not until the
disk fills up from all the junk in your filelist :-)

Bill Gruber
City University of New York